What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a Government backed scheme supported by the National Cyber Security Centre that will help protect your business from a range of the most common cyber security threats.
The five key areas of the assessment are:
• Firewalls – Need proper configuration to prevent unauthorised access to your internal networks.
• Patch Management – Software and Operating Systems should be supported and kept up to date to protect against known vulnerabilities.
• Malware Protection – Antivirus or anti-malware software should be installed on every device and kept up to date.
• Access Control – Individual user accounts should be used, with the least privilege model to allow employees to do their job.
• Secure Configuration – Computers should be configured with only the software and services required to perform their job and minimise vulnerabilities.
Around 80% of cyber attacks could be prevented if businesses implement Cyber Essentials best practices.
What are the benefits to my company?
• Prevent around 80% of the most common cyber security threats
• Secures your business
• Win new business – boost your business reputation
• Required for some Government contracts
• Demonstrate your commitment to cyber security to your customers
• Know your current security posture and identify risks
• Free cyber liability insurance
• Reduce cyber insurance premiums
How much does it cost?
There are two levels, Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus. The basic Cyber Essentials is a self-assessment and the first step in helping protect your businesses. The certification process costs from £300* + VAT.
Cyber Essentials Plus builds on the Cyber Essentials certification with the same basic principles but requires a hands-on technical verification. The certification process costs from £2000* + VAT.
How long does it take?
The certification process involves answering a short questionnaire, and the time involved depends on how well you know your computer systems and infrastructure, how many changes might need to be implemented to pass the certification, and the resources available. Depending on the size and complexity of your environment it can take from a few days to a few months. Recertification is typically a much quicker process.
How long does the certification last?
The certification lasts for 12 months.
How can Kriston Technology help you?
We can help guide you through the process of obtaining your Cyber Essentials certification. We can help implement simple and effective security best practices, creating policies and procedures where required, and auditing computer and network hardware to fulfil the certification requirements.
For more information on becoming Cyber Essentials certified call our team on 01993 880 980, we’re ready to help you secure your business.
*Depending on the package purchased.